Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non composite recurve bows used by the auxiliary archers?
Ave Robert.

The early empire is before my time, as they say Smile Stephenson 2006 (op cit) is specifically post 284AD, citing bow laths from Intercisa (& later & further afield).

Stephenson and Dixon 2003 covers C1st-7th, citing ear & grip laths across Britain, including Caerleon, the 'Triclinos' mosaic, Apamea, the tombstone of Flavius Proclus, Mainz & one of the 'Dura graffiti'.

Bishop & Coulston 2006 cite laths from Oberaden & Dangstetten, Velsen, Waddon Hill, Ri(ss)tissen & Vindolanda from the Augustan to Flavian period; Bar Hill, Carnuntum, I(z)a & a composite bow workshop at Micia in Roman Dacia in the Antonine chapter; Levantine mosaics & Palmyrene sculpture; ear laths from Stockstadt, Carnuntum, London, Belmesa, Mainz, Heddernheim, Intercisa, Micia, Tibiscum and Carleon up to the Dominate. I'll omit the late empire examples if I may ::phew!::

The other advantage of the recurved bow for infantry is that they can be shot easily whilst kneeling. I very much doubt they didn't use selfbows whilst awaiting supply or resupply but I don't know of any surviving evidence for it, other than for training purposes in the Vegetius I quoted.

Cheers
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~

Messages In This Thread
bows - by Caius Fabius - 09-18-2006, 06:05 PM
Thanks! - by mpferrell - 09-28-2006, 06:46 PM
Re: Non composite recurve bows used by the auxiliary archers? - by Salvianus - 09-29-2006, 07:39 PM