Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Representation of Auxiliary soldiers in museums
There is a reconstruction of an auxiliary in red tunic at Segontium museum in Caernarfon which has been there for years. I think that too is an early Russell Robinson equipped figure. Caerleon Museem has a legionary, Signifer and Centurion figures based on and equipped by the Ermine Street Guard.

The Chester figure Mike speaks of was replaced by a Caerleon like Legionary in red tunic but even he was replaced soon after by another figure minus his shield and pilum mounted on a pedestal waving his sword above his head at visitors! Certainly the very old figure in grey tunic was kept in the Museum education room.

There are other auxiliaries at Carvoran Roman Army Museum both foot and horse none of which wear green as far as I can remember, although I do recall the archers face was based on Charlton Heston!

There is a legionary and an Auxiliary at Newcastle Museum of Antiquities and perhaps Mike can confirm that these too are early Russell Robinson figures. Both of them wear red tunics. (Mike is the very old legionary figure in the leather armour still on display in Mainz?)

The Housestead figure has a russet brown tunic, again as a rusty memory seems to recall. I am going up to the Wall next month so perhaps I can have another look.

Middlewich has an auxiliary cavalryman on display in the Library but he was meant to be based on one of my paintings in the Middlewich project book.

Malton museum may have a reconstruction of another cavalryman based in turn on a Peter Connolly illustration ( or is it in fact a large blow up of a Connolly illustration I can't remember) perhaps our Yorkshire members can confirm this.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.

Messages In This Thread
dummys - by claudia crisis - 09-04-2006, 12:50 PM
reconstructions - by Graham Sumner - 09-17-2006, 09:14 PM
red socks. - by Graham Sumner - 09-18-2006, 12:01 PM
research - by Graham Sumner - 09-18-2006, 01:21 PM
museum models - by claudia crisis - 09-19-2006, 08:17 PM