Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Content with the way it looks...
Quote:Its why I ask all our soldiers to hammer work their CR steel for segmentatas.. yeah, we'll have unhammered segs around for years... but, eventually they too will fade away.... relegated to a collection and dust or loaner kit and rust...

Once again you're presuming hammered plate is somehow more correct than rolled despite evidence to the contrary- in their article In defense of Rome: a metallographic investigation of Roman ferrous armour from Northern Britain (Journal of Archaeological Science 32 (2005) 241-250)Fulford, et al. present evidence that a fragment of lorica from Vindolanda could have indeed been formed by cold rolling. What their investigation shows is that a wide variety of practices were used to make armor- folding and forge-welding, decaburisation, work-hardening, and rolling. So if you want to consider hammered plate 'an option' as you did previously, that's reasonable, however suggesting that cold rolled metal is not appropriate by saying you'll only be keeping the rolled metal segmentatae around as loaners or dust collectors is wrong.

And your basic thesis for this and the other thread is that there's a significant amount of alternate materials used that sacrifice function for form, and I asked for examples- I trust you'll do so before too many replies arrive in your thread about that subject- you're supposed to have that information already, yes?
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Messages In This Thread
Content with the way it looks... - by Hibernicus - 09-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Re: Content with the way it looks... - by Magnus - 09-01-2006, 05:06 PM
Re: Content with the way it looks... - by Magnus - 09-01-2006, 11:40 PM
Re: Content with the way it looks... - by Magnus - 09-02-2006, 04:35 AM
Re: Content with the way it looks... - by Matt Lukes - 09-02-2006, 05:02 PM