Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Arian Controversy and the Council of Nicea
So there's a discrepancy in the sources about Constantine's victory, I didn't know that. Every book I have says AD 311, there must be a reason why they settled on this date.

I also read about the origins of the chi-ro being pagan, that perhaps it was slightly modified by Constantine. It was almost never used by Christians before him. Many forms have pagan origins, though.

The pagan statues he placed in Constantinopolis where placed outside in the open air, I believe. They weren't placed in the pagan temples of the city. So, they were to be admired by everyone as works of art from what I've read.

Quote:Any urbanist or architect (as I am) will can tell you that the resources to build a completely a new (imperial) capital are enormously bigger than those necessary for expansions or minor cities.

Byzantium was a minor town as well. I read that Diocletian greatly expanded Nicomedia to match the grandeur of his power. So, if we were to combine the building efforts of these tetriacrhs, they wouldn't rival Constantine's expansion of Byzantium ? Constantine didn't start building from scratch. The houses he built were of very poor quality. This illustrates the scarcity of skilled workers.

Quote:Maybe he was so guilty knowing well to be so? Hey, the man was tremendous: he killed loads of people, his wife, his son! He was cruel and double just because hungry of personal power! And was made saint too...

A saint of the Orthodox Church. Yes, he was cruel although I don't hold it against him. Licinius was worse. At that time, you were either cruel or dead.

If the Emperor Claudius killed both his last wife (Agrippina) and adopted son (Nero), he would've lived and his biological son (Britannicus) would have become Emperor. :wink:

Quote:After the defense or the conquer even heroes and warriors need of Peace.

Yes, I agree you need time to recover strength. But to have decade after decade of idleness is very debilitating, IMO.

Quote:Theo, I like this discussion, but it's looking like a loop...

Yes, I know. There were some loose ends I wanted to address though.

Thanks for laying out your point of view, Titvs Smile

Vale.

Theo
Jaime

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Arian Controversy and the Council of Nicea - by Theodosius the Great - 09-01-2006, 08:04 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Council of Chalcedon Jona Lendering 11 3,113 10-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering