Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome and the US
I first have to say that I'm not sure that this topic belongs here. Modern politics, non-historical controversy, etc. With that said:

The only resemblance that America bears to Rome are the design of buildings in Washington and the political organization of a Republic. We've got corruption, yes, but corrupt politicians have been around forever and generally, the law catches up with them. We fight wars, yes, but not in the name of conquest and plunder, but of the liberation of others and security. We give an enormous amount of money to the international community and its causes, asking nothing in return (look to our response to the African AIDS situation for a small example.) If one is born poor, they actually have an opportunity to advance in society through hard work and being smart (rather than bribes or military service exclusively.)

These are just a few of my reasons for America continuing to exist for a long time. My favorite, however, was developed entirely on my own. We have a permanent raison d'etre (sorry to the Francophonic users of this forum for the lack of proper marks.) We were the first country on the face of the earth to tell the government what it can't do in its founding document, rather than telling the people of their responsibilities to the government. Any responsibilities are purely intelligent and largely optional (military service &c.-I must say that excessive taxes are a bit frustrating.) It's a government, in the words of one of the greatest men in history, "of the people, by the people, and for the people," and I do not see it "perishing from the face of the earth" any time soon.

Sorry for the (semi) rant. I'm reading some Ayn Rand right now, and she's really impacted me a lot. Big Grin

-Matt
-Matt

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

Messages In This Thread
Rome and the US - by ~Praetoria~ - 08-12-2006, 12:30 AM
Re: Rome and the US - by Victrix - 08-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Re: Rome and the US - by Jasper Oorthuys - 08-12-2006, 05:15 PM
Re: Rome and the US - by Jona Lendering - 08-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Re: Rome and the US - by ~Praetoria~ - 08-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Re: Rome and the US - by Virilis - 08-12-2006, 06:30 PM
re: Roman illustrations - by Johnny Shumate - 08-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Re: Rome and the US - by Victrix - 08-12-2006, 06:45 PM
Re: Rome and the US - by Jona Lendering - 08-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Re: Rome and the US - by Jasper Oorthuys - 08-12-2006, 07:25 PM