Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
constructing a vexillum & the legio II adiutrix pia fide
As for the materials, linen or wool would probably be most appropriate for the flag itself, the only original known was actually painted (as opposed to the decoration being sewn on, embroidered, etc.), although I don't know what the actual type of paint used was.

The fringe along the bottom edge would be some sort of twisted cord probably similar to that used on the edges of pteruges, although again I don't know if any actual originals are known, so the exact nature (color, etc.) isn't known. Most people choose to make them gold or golden yellow in color. There are a number of common fringe edgings you can find in any fabric store, but I believe these are synthetic, so if you're going for max-authenticity, these won't be appropriate. Something made of natural fiber that is either golden yellow or can be dyed so would be most appropriate I should think. The extra perimeter edging shown on one of the sculptures I attached would be similar I'd think- a natural fiber weave, although it's quite difficult to tell. The majority of depictions of Vexilla I've seen though have no such edging, just the fringe at the bottom. Actually, that 'edging' could be separate from the flag, and might actually be the side straps with an additional section across the bar.

The two straps at the ends of the flag's crossbar are usually recreated as being leather with the studs and pendants that balteus apron straps have. I don't know of any actual evidence as to the material though, and although the one on Trajan's Column I attached could show studs, I don't know if this can be demonstrated with any certainty either. There are defintely pendants however.

The one artifact spear haft I'm aware of has a diameter of about 1", and that's the diameter of a couple of the artifact pila hafts as well, so could be considered at least an average diameter for roman hafts in general. I'd think that you wouldn't want to go more than maybe 1 1/4" for that of your Vexillum. The crossbar that holds the flag can be smaller though- I don't see why 3/4" wouldn't be appropriate.

The speartip seems a variable piece- sometimes depicted as being stylistically, sometimes a normal spearpoint, sometimes a wide triangular piece. I personally like the idea of a real spearpoint- the connection with a real weapon as opposed to a weapon-like piece seems rather more martial and appropriate for the Roman legions, however I wouldn't doubt for a minute that there were many styles including those only weapon-like ones.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Messages In This Thread
Re: constructing a vexillum & the legio II adiutrix pia fide - by Matt Lukes - 07-23-2006, 08:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legio I Adiutrix Disigns Pius X 4 1,976 09-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Last Post: jho
  Legio IX Hispana\'s new vexillum scythius 18 4,126 07-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Last Post: M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER