Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Europe\'s oldest book soon to be deciphered
Quote: You're obviously very passionate about this - it shows in your inclination to argue by assertion and to draw conclusions for which you offer no evidence!
Khaire Paul,
I wouldn't call the Witch hunts of England and New England 'no evidence'. The Knights Templars and Cathars were killed as 'heretics' and 'witches' that is historic fact...(as was the Spanish Inquisition!)
'Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live' where did that actually come from?
The 1611 King James Bible had that in Exodus 22.18
The word traslated as 'witch' was actually 'chaspah' which was a word that meant 'poisoner' (or murderer). In other words those who intended to kill via poison...aka Iolus and Alexander....Iolus would have been a 'witch'.
This was actually pointed out in a book by Reginald Scot in c1580..!

In fact, if you read these, they are totally out of context with the rest of Exodus 22.... :?
From King James Bible-Exodus22
18: Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.
19: Whosoever lieth with a beast shall surely be put to death. (especially the Lamb of God or any of his flock...sorry about that ... :oops: )
20: He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed.
Especially when you reach.....
28: Thou shalt not revile the gods, nor curse the ruler of thy people.
GODS in plural.....????

So you were basically being told to honour the GODS, but not sacrifice to them. To sacrifice to the Lord, was perfectly alright.....???
So a lot of poor people died as a result of a mistranslation of one word and for honouring their own personal Gods or Goddesses...that the Bible seems to indicate is not wrong.... :?

Incidentially, I have been a vegetarian for many years.....
Exodus 22.31 states: And ye shall be holy men unto me: neither shall ye eat any flesh that is torn of beasts in the field; ye shall cast it to the dogs.
I suppose most people take that as meaning it is alright to eat those that have been killed in slaughterhouses..... :wink: :wink:

regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-

Messages In This Thread
Rant..!!!!! - by Arthes - 07-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Christianity - by Primitivus - 07-17-2006, 09:21 PM
Re: Europe\'s oldest book soon to be deciphered - by Anonymous - 07-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Re: Europe\'s oldest book soon to be deciphered - by Anonymous - 07-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Re: Rant..!!!!! - by Anonymous - 07-19-2006, 09:58 AM
Re: Rant..!!!!! - by Arthes - 07-19-2006, 11:30 AM
Re: Rant..!!!!! - by Anonymous - 07-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Re: Europe\'s oldest book soon to be deciphered - by Anonymous - 07-19-2006, 10:29 PM
Re: Europe\'s oldest book soon to be deciphered - by Anonymous - 07-20-2006, 09:07 AM