Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Right cheek guards predominate findings - why?
Quote:listing known original helmets and fragments, I noticed that much more right cheek guards seem to be found. A total of 16 finds contains 10 right pieces, 3 left pieces and 3 pairs.

I'm going to interpret this as 13 rights and 6 lefts in a total population of 19. I'm not a professional statistician, buy my Z-statistic calculator with these proportions yields a Z-statistic of [1.50, implying a confidence level just over 85% that these are statistically different -- not strong. At least, you wouldn't want to go to court with it. ]

[However, if we had 38 total finds, and there were 26 rights and 12 lefts (which is the same proportion), then the Z-stat would be 2.13, for a confidence level of well over 95% that they are statistically different. You would probably be able to convince a jury.]

We need to go find more cheek pieces!

rkmvca/Rich Klein

EDIT: Please strike the statistical results in [brackets] above. I believe I defined the populations incorrectly. With the correct populations, I believe the z (or t) statistic is now about 2.25, indicating a very strong probability that there is a real difference in the predominance of left vs right cheek guards. I'll check with a real pro to make sure I have done the calculations correctly.

Messages In This Thread
cheek pieces - by claudia crisis - 06-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Re: Right cheek guards predominate findings - why? - by rkmvca1 - 06-21-2006, 12:41 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leather cheek-guards on Roman helmets? arminius 37 7,782 01-07-2011, 12:58 AM
Last Post: arminius