Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That\'s it, folks... I\'ll have a go at making a linothorax!
Quote:Ok, a different question.

Folks seem to be generally in agreement that the fabric can be glued to gether flat. Doesn't that make the inside layers try to wrinkle when it's curved around the body? I have not made one yet, but it's getting closer on my list of projects, so I'm curious. It seems like the shorter radius would cause the inner layers to compress, which could result in wrinkles, is all.

What say you all?

There are several problems arising from bending the armour. One way to minimise them is to make the body section of four components - two side sections, a front and a back - and sew the edges to form a hinge. This would give the rather "boxy" appearance some Linothorakes have in the art. I didn't do this with my own armour, making the body in a single, wraparound section. This gives some cracking in the paint and the front does have some bubbles in it, when left unworn. When I put it on, these disappear as the armour warms and softens. To be fair to Dan, I must admit that I sweat a lot in my armour, but it is also true that I'm a sweaty beggar at the best of times.

Dan, have you made a sewn thorax? I'd certainly be interested to try one. I have too many other projects on at present to make one myself and, since I now have two linothorakes and a bronze cuirass, no necessity!

Messages In This Thread
Re: That\'s it, folks... I\'ll have a go at making a linothorax! - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 06-11-2006, 11:23 PM
Re: That\'s it, folks... I\'ll have a go at making a linothorax! - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 06-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Re: That\'s it, folks... I\'ll have a go at making a linothorax! - by Anonymous - 07-03-2006, 10:21 AM
Mooooooan - by Arthes - 07-16-2006, 01:58 PM
Re: Mooooooan - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 07-16-2006, 10:31 PM