Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome vs Han essay- want get some opinions
Quote:Another thing is the draw weight of Han crossbows. Rick cheerfully mentions 350 pounds as typical, and I presume again based on literary references.
Personally, I would prefer data based on archaeological finds and practical tests with reconstructed bows. Two members of the Atarn forum had ancient Chinese crossbows reconstructed, and these had draw weights of respectively 60 and 55 pounds. Stephen Selby, the author of a book on Chinese archery, did intend to have a more powerful one made with a draw weight of 100 pounds (I sure hope this was done and that he will publish the results), but all three figures are still a far cry from 350.

Their reconstructions are a little far from accurate. First of all is the fact that their bows aren't recurve(and I doubt that they stringed it tight enough). Second is the fact that they are missing the belt-hook device neccessary for getting up to 350 pounds. Chinese crossbows without the belt-hook device was said to be only abe to reach up to 2 to 3 tan, or 120 to 180 pounds. With the belt device, the poundage can be increased by more than twice. I seriously doubt that they made the bow to be the exact poundage of avg Han bows, just like those 40 lb longbow reconstructions.
Rick Lee

Messages In This Thread
"The Seres" - by Eleatic Guest - 05-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Real Name Rule - by Caius Fabius - 05-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Democracy - by Caius Fabius - 05-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Re: Rome vs Han essay- want get some opinions - by Anthrophobia - 07-14-2006, 10:57 PM