Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome vs Han essay- want get some opinions
Quote:As I pointed out many years ago (Historia 38, 1989, 371-6, an article that seems to have been universally ignored Sad ), the Chinese frontier wall built during the reign of Wu-Ti (c. 100 BC) -- which modern scholars call the Tun-huang limes -- was no "Great Wall of China". Sir Aurel Stein's excavations there revealed a simple earthwork barrier covering a chain of detached watch-towers.

CJ Peers, Imperial Chinese Armies (1) 200 BC - AD 589 Osprey, p.17 (trustworthy source, I hope, hehe) on the Han fortifications from the Ordos region to Kansu:

Quote:Wall building was a fairly quick and simple operation - a single man was said to be able to erect 18 feet of rampart per month - and the walls were probably no more than low earth banks, using loose stones or even bundled twigs as a core, which acted more as boundary markers and lookout posts than as serious fortifications. Rectangular brick watchtowers were placed at intervals of slightly less than a mile, and banks of raked sand outside the defences were used to reveal any nocturnal incursions. A system of signalling between the towers by means of red and white flags, smoke or bonfires was in operation by about 160 BC.

On the other hand, I have seen in more than one serious publication stone walls specifically dated to the Qin and Han era, lines of stone 3-4 meter high with no battlements. Still impressive, but a far cry from the Ming wall, and also of less sophisticated workmanship than the Hadrian's wall since the sections depicted showed stones which were are at best crudely worked without any mortar.

The signalling system is kind of more interesting, since surviving records suggest that it must have been very professionally managed.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)

Messages In This Thread
"The Seres" - by Eleatic Guest - 05-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Real Name Rule - by Caius Fabius - 05-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Democracy - by Caius Fabius - 05-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Re: Rome vs Han essay- want get some opinions - by Eleatic Guest - 07-07-2006, 10:34 PM