Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Were the Germans physically superior?
Quote:I believe Barbero did some research at the old Roman Christian cemetary at Concondia. Whether hair color still remained? Good question. But the names on the stones were predominently Gothic, men who had been wounded and died after the battle of Frigidus. Interesting that so many were Christians.

Was that the same cemetary where so many soldiers of the frigidus battle (394) were buried, and where we find such good information about the late 4th c. Roman army?
Difficult to say who belonged to what group, since they served in regular Roman units. Without a geographical reference, all that we can go on are names that resemble names from individuals in certain ethnic groups (hence what we see as 'Germanic' names, 'Gothic' names and 'Roman' names). See below.

Quote:I didn't say it. Barbero did. Smile
I know. I continued your quote of him in italics. :wink:

Quote:What I do agree with Barbero with is the fact that the Gothic names on the stones were Germanic. And I still believe the fighting elite of the Goths were Germanic, and that the kings and duces of the Goths were Germanic. This is opposed to Heather, Matthews, and Kulikowski. I continue to think I'm right even though Rumo thinks I'm wrong. :wink:
Well, surpringly enough, Barbero made a distinction between Germanic and Gothic, that Goths fysically resembled Germanics. Since what we know of the Gothic language is that it is an east germanic language, it's not surprising that Gothic names were Germanic as well.

Hey! if Gothic names are Germanic, how can we see if the individual was a Goth? I mean, if the meorial stone reads: here lies Attila, ducenarius of the Britanniaci, what do we say he was? A Hun? A Goth? A Briton with humoristic parents? Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: - by MeinPanzer - 03-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Re: Re: - by Tarbicus - 03-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Re: - by Alanus - 04-01-2010, 04:52 AM
Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - by Robert Vermaat - 04-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Re: - by SigniferOne - 05-06-2010, 05:51 AM
Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - by Abe - 12-25-2012, 04:59 AM