Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why banded armor (lorica segmentata)? Why not breastplates?
I got the idea while watching History Channel's "Bodicca"- some reenactor Roman legionnaires were wearing a odd-looking breastplate with hinged shoulder guards. I thought- thats a good idea! Simpler design, equally good protection, why didn't the Romans do that? Why, indeed, go with the complexities of a lorica segmentata? All- those hinged parts, difficult to stow and maintain. Why?? Any idea what the urgent need behind that peculiar armor was?

Only thing I could think of is that the armor was designed for packed formations where the danger was from slashing blows above. Lorica Segmentata protected the shoulders well- allowing the legionnaire to use quick jabs with unprotected arms and shoving shield boss to fight. But I still don't see why the need for segmented body armour- for hurling pilum? Or is it a question of simple manufacture?
"In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous." - Tacitus

Messages In This Thread
Why banded armor (lorica segmentata)? Why not breastplates? - by fretensis10 - 04-10-2006, 11:59 PM
The results are in... - by FlaviusCrispus - 04-15-2006, 02:54 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About the three types of armor Lorica Segmentata? Leoshenlong 2 644 04-21-2021, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  New find of lorica segmentata mcbishop 18 3,303 11-21-2020, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  why lorica segmentata uses very thin hinges? Leoshenlong 3 691 10-27-2020, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Leoshenlong