Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Massive gathering in Germania in 2009
Quote:@ Ulfwin
Yeah, some of us romans, especially those in Lorica Segmentata (like me at sunday), have some problems to "feel" hits in the Thorax area, because the Germanics didn´t hit them really hard with there weapons. You attacked my legs with your club, too, but i didn´t "feel" it, but think that those touches came from shields or legs or "bodys"!

Salve Marce!

s.v.b.e. e.v.

Yes, yes, the good ole problem wid ye Romans, ain't it. Germanic Comitatus had discussed if the use of clubs was to be allowed at all. It's a real weapon, I reckon a hard blow on a galea would not only lead to dent metal, but to whiplash effects or brain concussion. No sharp blade, no penetration of armour necessary to get them off their feet. And the good old bone breaking, of course.
So, I was hit quite hard by some Romans, and myself playing the fierce warrior fought like mock-fighting children. :twisted:
I think, there will always be this mixture: some take a battle like our's as a show, trying to fullfill the script of the authors, others see it as sports, trying to mock-fight better than the enemy. There will always be somenone saying "hey, I killed you, why don't you die!" and somenone "hey, it's only show, why do you strike so hard!" I don't mind. I will keep fighting the air in front of a Roman instead of attacking his vulnerable parts, I'll keep caressing his vulnerable parts with my weapon instead of hitting. Some take the hint, most don't. But it's the getting hot and trying to win, even if sportsman-like, that caused the few accidents (I saw some front teeth needing re-adjusting, heard of a overburdened Roman ribcage, as some freaks had the glorious idea to stack a pile of dead Romans as an obstacle).

I am no whimp, I didn't mind that heavy Roman, add his hamata and all, who tramped on my forearm with his hobnailed shoe whilst retreat, don't mind the bleeding scratches under my receding hairline, but I like the feeling of control. And gods, I had control. The only accident near me, a Roman falling backwards over a dead comrade, I stopped my men within a second, ordered them to go back a man's length. Worked fine. We were looking dangerous, my folks howling under pressure, so that the next Roman officer still thought he had to get us away, but all was safe. Undisciplined Germanic warriors? Hell, yes! But sumtimes I luf me leaders krisma, nay? At times I commanded my own folks from the invisible position of crouching under my and my fellowmens' shields, clubbing Roman feet, but my voice dominating my 16 men. Got a great compliment from the Roman side: "you Sueben guys fight a bit too focused on one enemy ... well, but you. You are a f**ker." For me like a phalera. Big Grin Well, enough padding my own shoulder.
The guy with the loose teeth, I asked him if I should use my whistle and break the show until the paramedics got him out, was quite happy "gno, gno, git's aw awright, I'mg fine" and smiled.

Nevertheless, I prefer fighting as a show, not as competitive sports. I take the Varian Desaster 2009 as a positive example. Romans can trust their enemy. Vice versa, too. The event itself was not too special, but the battle and some moments were. Thanks to everyone who made it possible.

Cheers,

Hunno Ulfwin, back in his own time 409 A.D.

Edith: edited for typos
Ulfwin, the Hunno
(Stefan Deuble)

Messages In This Thread
But this isn\'t realistic - by Neuraleanus - 03-31-2006, 03:54 AM
Re: But this isn\'t realistic - by Tarbicus - 03-31-2006, 04:22 PM
Limitis (french association) - by CHADBURN CEDRIC - 09-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Kalkreise - by Caius Fabius - 10-27-2006, 07:20 PM
official contact - by Ulfwin - 11-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Re: official contact - by Publius Militiares - 11-15-2006, 05:29 AM
little steps - by Caius Fabius - 11-26-2006, 09:44 PM
short report - by Ulfwin - 03-29-2007, 02:14 AM
Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - by Anonymous - 05-04-2007, 10:04 AM
update - by Ulfwin - 05-06-2007, 01:24 PM
yes - by Ulfwin - 07-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Varus Disaster - Re-enectment June 2009 - by David H. Blain - 07-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Varus Disaster Events 2009 - by David H. Blain - 11-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - by David H. Blain - 11-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - by David H. Blain - 12-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - by S AUFIDIUS - 01-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - by Ulfwin - 06-17-2009, 05:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roma Aeterna - Gathering of the Legions mauritiuscomellus 51 10,272 08-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Last Post: vipsania