Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Massive gathering in Germania in 2009
@ Patrick: of course, I'm just a bit shy about publishing the names of peoble who I do not know personally. His name is Mr. Elliger. I got in touch with him via friends of mine. They were together in the Hastings reenactment. But I myself can't say anything about Mr. Elliger. What he wrote to me sounds good enough. Thus I have stopped my own struggling to get the okay of the Kalkriese Museum, who are up to now not aware of the big size of the coming event. Elliger's ways sound experienced and getting protection of high ranked politicians is no wrong idea. He talked about the president of the bundestag with some reason, but there is no need, two and a half years in advance, to get excited about such minor details. If you know one of these two better than I, it would be nice, if you told me but by private message. I don't like discussing persons in the WWW.

@ Jim: Thanks for your questions. As there is up to now no real life comittee working out this points, I can only answer what is my personal opinion, what I personally think is the most probable thing.

The focussing. Yes, I think, that this organization comittee will focus on the varrian battle. But, say flight tickets are sponsored, who tells you that you have to fly home directly after the event? I think, one can use some advantages of the sponsoring to connect it with other events. But the participation in other events will be organized by those, who claim to do these events since long years. Is my english good enough? I want to say, Xanten e.g. will surely be done by those, who always do the Xanten thing. But I will not forget the subject. As soon as the preparations are more than mere talking, things may change. If there is a number of people signalling: yeah, great, but we want to make that other event also and it would be silly to put the dates that far from each other, it will have influence, I think. But I think it unlikely that the same staff will organize the other event, too. Nevertheless I will pass on that question.

Sponsorship. Up to now it's all theoretics. You want to know, how much you get. If I ask for sponsors, they want to know how much you need. It would be very helpful, if those who are interested send me emails with their ideas and needs, financial aspects included. You might even tell me two numbers: the amount you would like to have, if there is no limits, and the amount you need at least. It will be handled confidently, and it is no commercial competition where the cheapest will win. It might just help checking out. Pre-pay would be a fine thing for many, but it makes things more difficult working out binding contracts, re-pay would be much easier to handle. But now, in the beginning of the development, it's all just blahblah and my personal opinion. I think, now it is the time to collect all informations in a quiet way. Discussing details in several internet fora might even talk the whole thing into the ground.
For the ferry tickets needed for the Battle of Hastings, the Franco-Flemish Contingent had sponsored themselves by using the money they earned together in some events half a year before. That might be a thought, too. Not from the organization, but from inside the single groups figuring out, what their minimum might be.

Quality: I can only talk about the barbarian side, because I can't tell a Depeeka gladius from a single made replica. So there will better be someone from the Roman side who takes the quality of Roman members in their hands.
From the barbarians we will want more than just enthusiasm: we want to have them equipment that fits exactly to the early 1st century. But that is easier for the tribes than for the Romans: they need a pair of carbatinae, or those fine made germanic shoes, trousers, a spear. Shield and sword are luxury, those will need a rectangular cloak and a belt, too. What we don't want is viking shields and swords, merovingian helmets and belts, etc. And besides battle and camp life there should of course hand crafts village life, animals etc..
For the Romans it would be much more expensive, to get complete new gear if their equipment does not exactly fit the time. I think - personal opinion - that there will be a greater range allowed. But that is not me to decide. Maybe it will be you? I do not know, how good Roman groups work together nor do I know, if there are some super important groups :wink: who think, it is their natural right to set the rules, because they claim Kalkriese as their natural habitat. I think in bigger terms (migration period turns barbari into cosmopolitans), but from my experience I expect Germans to be more itchy than English, so it might be a good thing, if the valuation of the Roman groups lay in the hands of some people who can see further than their hometown. If someone here sees himself able to do that, tell me and you will not be forgotten.
One minimal level of quality should be sure: no plastix.
In general, I think, put the level as high as possible. Compromise comes by itself, one need not invite it.

Another thing that will be discussed is the reenactment of the battle itself: I would like to collect information about how you think about freefighting or a pre-written show, how safe your weapons are, sharp or blunt edged, if you would prefer a battle done with safety weapons made from wood, leather, rubber. If you dislike the thought of the battle at all, because it is already known as a desaster for the Roman legions. A battle will be, I think, but we will find a script, where everybody finds the place that suits him well. The some pages before mentioned commemorial for the fallen Romans - as an extra act, not immediately after the battle - will cause no problems, I think. It happened some years later, but it belongs to the history of the battle too. So why not showing this part, too? The finding of the battlefield, making a symbolic funeral and showing all earnest and grief that the slaughter of thousands of men always deserves? The visitors will be deeply impressed and the Teutons will have strict orders not to disturb.

But I start getting into details myself. Time is not ripe now. Now it is just collecting possibilities and needs.

I hope my answers are not too evasive. Help me giving me information. I am no newbie, but many of you are much more experienced than me. Thank you very much,

Stefan

p.s.: and now I start digging myself through the topics of your very interesting RAT !
Ulfwin, the Hunno
(Stefan Deuble)

Messages In This Thread
But this isn\'t realistic - by Neuraleanus - 03-31-2006, 03:54 AM
Re: But this isn\'t realistic - by Tarbicus - 03-31-2006, 04:22 PM
Limitis (french association) - by CHADBURN CEDRIC - 09-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Kalkreise - by Caius Fabius - 10-27-2006, 07:20 PM
official contact - by Ulfwin - 11-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Re: official contact - by Publius Militiares - 11-15-2006, 05:29 AM
Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - by Ulfwin - 11-15-2006, 08:45 AM
little steps - by Caius Fabius - 11-26-2006, 09:44 PM
short report - by Ulfwin - 03-29-2007, 02:14 AM
Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - by Anonymous - 05-04-2007, 10:04 AM
update - by Ulfwin - 05-06-2007, 01:24 PM
yes - by Ulfwin - 07-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Varus Disaster - Re-enectment June 2009 - by David H. Blain - 07-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Varus Disaster Events 2009 - by David H. Blain - 11-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - by David H. Blain - 11-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - by David H. Blain - 12-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Re: Massive gathering in Germania in 2009 - by S AUFIDIUS - 01-09-2009, 06:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roma Aeterna - Gathering of the Legions mauritiuscomellus 51 10,272 08-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Last Post: vipsania