Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone study Iaido?
Thanks AGLarsen. I'd love to study Kenjutsu, unfortunately instructors in the combat art of the sword are extremely few and far between. Kendo and Iaido seem to dominate the japanese sword martial arts.<br>
<br>
A brief (well, not really!) bit of info on Iaido:<br>
<br>
Iaido is the art of drawing and attacking with a sword. "Iai" is composed of the characters "i(ru)" (to be, to stay in, to sit, to remain seated) and "a(u)" (to come together, to meet, to harmonise). There is some debate among experts as to how and why the term "iai" came to refer to drawing the sword. One school of thought contends the terms originated with the practice of drawing the sword while seated, which had no practical value in traditional times, since samurai did not wear their long swords while seated. Another possibility is that "iai" was adopted for this purpose to connote the idea of handling an opponent instantly and without moving from the spot on which one is attacked.<br>
<br>
Iaido is usually used to refer to mainstream iaido: the standard set of techniques proscribed by the Zen-Nippon Kendo Renmei (seitei-gata) or those proscribed by the Zen-Nippon Iaido Renmei (iaido toho). Iaidoka generally practice both those techniques and an accompanying koryu, usually either Muso Jikiden Eishen Ryu or Muso Shinden Ryu.<br>
<br>
Iaidoka (and kendoka) wield a sword not to control their opponent, but to control themselves. Iaido is mostly performed solo as a series of kata, executing varied techniques against single or multiple imaginary opponents. Each kata begins and ends with the sword sheathed. In addition to sword technique, it requires imagination and concentration in order to maintain the feeling of a real fight and to keep the kata fresh. Iaidoka are often recommended to practice kendo to preserve that fighting feel; it is common for high ranking kendoka to hold high rank in iaido and vice versa.<br>
<br>
In order to properly perform the kata, iaidoka also learn posture and movement, grip and swing. Sometimes iaidoka will practice partner kata similar to kendo or kenjutsu kata. Unlike kendo, iaido is never practised in a free-sparring manner.<br>
<br>
_________________________<br>
<br>
The site i got this info also goes on to say that iajutsu is just another term for iaido. But, i'm hoping there's a bit of swordplay...I'd like to know how to handle a real blade. It is my hope to one day own a traditionaly made nihon-to...a katana would be nice. One with a bit of history to it. The only minor problem is that a blade by itself is usually around $2,500 USD to start. So it may be a while yet...<br>
<br>
<p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"<br>
Niagara Falls, Canada</p><i></i>

Messages In This Thread
Anyone study Iaido? - by Anonymous - 05-06-2004, 04:05 PM
Re: Anyone study Iaido? - by scythius - 05-06-2004, 04:57 PM
Re: Anyone study Iaido? - by Hibernicus - 05-06-2004, 05:20 PM
Re: Anyone study Iaido? - by Anonymous - 05-06-2004, 05:52 PM
Iaido - by Anonymous - 05-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Re: Iaido - by Anonymous - 05-07-2004, 02:33 AM
Re: Iaido - by Anonymous - 05-08-2004, 10:11 AM