Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone study Iaido?
I studied Yamate-ryu kenjistsu for a little while. My memory is getting a little hazy, but I think I recall that we referred just to the drawing-cutting moves as Iaijitsu, yet it was seen as a component of our larger kenjitsu curriculum.<br>
<br>
One key thing to note: it might depend on the style. There are oodles of styles ("ryu"s) of kenjitsu, jujitsu, aikijitsu, and doubtless iaijitsu, too.<br>
<br>
I'm not sure about iaiDO. The "do" forms ("do" translates "way") are generally "modern" forms that depart somewhat from the older, more combat-oriented "jitsu" forms ("jitsu" translates as "art"), in trying to become a "way toward enlightenment"... partly with the idea that this helps them to continue to be relevant to the modern world that no longer "needs" samurai. (You see, after the Meiji Restoration, some samurai joined Tom Cruise in suicide-charge rebellions, others founded "do" martial arts... ) Whereas the "jitsu" forms all have, oh, who knows how many "ryu"s ("schools") at least some of the "do" forms have essentially a single modern founding father and are thus really their own "ryu". I know this is true of judo and aikido, but I'm not sure about kendo and iaido.<br>
<br>
But jeez, I'm drawing on memories that are so old that I'm practically talking through my hat here. Let's see what Adam's friend has to say. I'm interested, too.<br>
<br>
Aaron <p></p><i></i>

Messages In This Thread
Anyone study Iaido? - by Anonymous - 05-06-2004, 04:05 PM
Re: Anyone study Iaido? - by scythius - 05-06-2004, 04:57 PM
Re: Anyone study Iaido? - by Hibernicus - 05-06-2004, 05:20 PM
Re: Anyone study Iaido? - by Anonymous - 05-06-2004, 05:52 PM
Iaido - by Anonymous - 05-06-2004, 10:09 PM
Re: Iaido - by Anonymous - 05-07-2004, 02:33 AM
Re: Iaido - by Anonymous - 05-08-2004, 10:11 AM