Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update on the Spatha and Gladius fighting techniques!
Thanks Martin for a realistic attitude on swordfighting!

First, the attitide that a roman soldier would parry a Spatha-strike with a (I don`t mean you Martin) non- sharp edge of a sword is ridiculous! If someone is trying to hit you with a kitchen-knife the size of a celtic long sword (despite of the Scutum) you wouldn`t think about the sharpness of your sword! You don`t think like we 21th century re-enactors at that moment. You will just survive!

This is the same situation as I have experienced in boxing; I had very nice moves with the punching bags and mitts but then something happened. When the opponent is trying to hit you (and hurt you) it is a whole different ballgame. No former experiences matters anymore. I would think that it would be the same in a Gargantuan scale with a genuine sword-fighting.

Roman Gladiuses and Spathas are a whole different weapons, without the qualities of a single hand-to-hand combat qualities like medieval swords. What is the introduction date of a sword hand-quard and what would be it`s complete historical menaning?? I think that in this respect you the medieval sword experts can offer us an invaluable source of knowledge...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]

Messages In This Thread
Re: Update on the Spatha and Gladius fighting techniques! - by Virilis - 02-04-2006, 11:16 PM
techniques - by VaniRage - 09-17-2006, 05:54 AM
Re: techniques - by GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS - 09-22-2006, 02:59 AM
fashion traditions, however - by Goffredo - 10-04-2006, 11:39 AM
Limits of the gladius. - by Gregg - 10-05-2006, 02:23 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladius-Spatha/Contus Legate 7 1,286 03-05-2019, 03:27 AM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio
  Roman Heavy Cavalry Fighting Techniques JeffF 68 17,875 01-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Michael Kerr
  Difference in Spatha Legions vs Gladius Imperium 15 10,560 04-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius