Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Encaustic tips
Rich,
If you haven't had a chance to check out this old thread from Carlton and myself, check this out:
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... =encaustic

For myself, I found that not even one full teaspoon was plenty of pigment to paint with for the red pigment, but quite a bit more black was needed to get a nice deep black color. I suspect it completely depends on the type of pigment you are using. I believe I used Iron Oxide for the red (very coarse and heavy) and this mixed very readily in the wax/resin. The black was a more powdery substance (I know it wasn't coal dust, but something like that), and it took quite a bit (I want to say 3 - 5 teaspoons) to get the same rich colors.

You are a much smarter man than myself for buying a hot plate!! Working on a Coleman camp stove was less than fun and definately was a right royal pain in the arse for keeping a constant temp. I also recommend buying the special tool they sell in art stores for 'finishing' the encaustic painting. The tool looks like a little electric iron and is supposedly great for smoothing out the wax when you're all done painting(much better than a heat gun I'm told...).

I used Damar resin as it was recommended to me by the folks at fineartstore.com, who said that it was close to historical resins of the middle east, but I can not attest to that myself.

Also, let us know how your shield stands up to the summer sun! I took mine out to an event north of Kansas City in the beginning of june and in less than 20 minutes, it looked like a melted candle (I have pics somewhere...)

good luck!

Britannicus
Gaius Aquilius Britannicus
aka. Todd Searls

Messages In This Thread
Encaustic tips - by richard - 01-29-2006, 11:20 PM
encaustic painting ... or rather, mopping! - by GaiusAquiliusBritannicus - 01-31-2006, 11:20 PM
Re: Encaustic tips - by Marcus Mummius - 02-01-2006, 11:06 PM
encaustic painting - by GaiusAquiliusBritannicus - 02-01-2006, 11:22 PM
early link - by GaiusAquiliusBritannicus - 02-01-2006, 11:48 PM
Re: Encaustic tips - by Marcus Mummius - 02-02-2006, 12:40 AM
wax over cassein - by richard - 02-02-2006, 02:20 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Encaustic wax study richsc 0 675 10-21-2013, 12:55 PM
Last Post: richsc
  First Steps in Encaustic Carlton Bach 16 5,214 06-22-2005, 06:39 PM
Last Post: GaiusAquiliusBritannicus
  Casein or encaustic? Anonymous 4 1,982 04-05-2005, 01:27 PM