Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trajan´s Column questions?
Salve,

the helmet was also discussed in this thread: HBO's "Rome" to present more realistic look at the

From that thread:
according to Jasper Oorthuys:
Quote:Feugère, Les armes des Romains on p.22 has a drawing of the Jard (Vendee) helmet, a 19th C forgery which, according to Feugere, the only helmet every found with a ringlet on top like Trajan's column.

according to Kate Gilliver:
[quote]The helmet illustrated in Watson The Roman Soldier plate 11 is allegedly from Emesa in Syria and dated to the first century AD. It was published by Cornelius Vermeule in Journal of Roman Studies 50 (1960), 8-11, with very good quality b/w illustrations. The helmet is silver (yes, silver), making it unique for Roman helmets, I think, and it’s also unique in that nothing else like it has been discovered in the archaeological record, (again, as far as I’m aware). Vermuele draws on sculptural evidence of the Arch of Constantine and Trajan’s Column for comparable pieces, and you can see one on T’s Col at the Stoa website here: http://www.stoa.org/trajan/buildtrajanpage.cgi?248

Robinson (Armour of Imperial Rome) 1975, 65, says “the silver helmet with an over-large ring said to have come from Emesa, in Syria, and now in the Toledo Museum of Art in America is, in my opinion, a complete fabrication of recent times.â€ÂÂ
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Trajan´s Column questions? - by Jeroen Pelgrom - 01-25-2006, 11:41 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mainz Column Base questions Peroni 8 2,079 10-17-2005, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis