Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vambraces - possibly a reason for their use
Avete!

Simple rule in my Legion: Document it, and you can use it! Several of my troops already wear bracelets or armillae. Any archer is welcome to wear a proper archer's bracer on his left wrist. If any Italian tribal warrior from the 4th century BC is wearing a neat bronze vambrace on his sword arm, I'll be very excited! Or a fully armored cataphract, super! But show up with anything beyond that, and no documentation, and I will politely and apologetically sever the arm at the elbow. Muahahahahaaa....

Now, for modern medical needs, hey, talk to me! I'm not a COMPLETE s.o.b! But I'd still prefer something like the linen wrappings already suggested, perhaps over a splint of some sort, jus to avoid the stereotyped Hollywood look.

Sorry, but I'm still of the opinion that making up little unnecessary details just because we think they COULD have or SHOULD have existed is a very dangerous thing. After a few steps, it's really fantasy, not history any more, making up our own cool little version of things. No, we certainly don't know everything, and yes, every time some wild new archeological discovery turns up we are all stunned by things we've never seen before (Otzi the Iceman springs to mind). But really, let's wait for those discoveries, and stick to what we have right now for the time being. If nothing else, it cuts down on the arguments.

Mind you, for some basic necessities, we HAVE to speculate or make interpretations or leaps of faith, or we'd never be able to equip ourselves and take the field. But keep that all to a bare minimum, and "when in doubt, throw it out". (Okay, that was my Dad's philosophy on room cleaning!)

A rant, Travis? From lil' old me? Perish the thought!

Valete,

Matthew the Frothful
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/

Messages In This Thread
Wrist injuries - by Peroni - 01-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Re: Vambraces - possibly a reason for their use - by Matthew Amt - 01-19-2006, 03:11 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Helmet side plumes- possible reason Caballo 15 4,433 04-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Marcus Iulius Chattus
  reason for ridges in sword grip richsc 19 3,896 05-29-2004, 03:11 PM
Last Post: ambrosius