Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vambraces - possibly a reason for their use
This I think applies more to the Roman gang here, hence I didn't post in the Greek thread.

I've fractured my left wrist three times through various football and other youthful antics. My point being that my left wrist is pretty weak, and the scutum is still fairly heavy, and especially with the shocks it could take I feel there could be instances where vambraces would be worn as a support. As an example of how easy it can fracture, the last time was through a simple fall to the ground and all I did was stop myself when I hit.

I'm thinking more of the leather support type, not metal decorative thingies. It would just seem a practical measure to take and help keep a soldier battleworthy and less prone to further injury during combat, or even construction, which would be a massive inconvenience to everyone, especially in the heat of combat.

This could be especially with veteran soldiers who had sustained a number of injuries in their career. I really can't imagine a soldier being invalided out just because he had a fracture that had healed but left the limb with a weakness.

Any thoughts?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Messages In This Thread
Vambraces - possibly a reason for their use - by Tarbicus - 01-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Wrist injuries - by Peroni - 01-18-2006, 11:09 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Helmet side plumes- possible reason Caballo 15 4,448 04-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Marcus Iulius Chattus
  reason for ridges in sword grip richsc 19 3,913 05-29-2004, 03:11 PM
Last Post: ambrosius