Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moderators, please note: Macedonia
Okay, friends, the deed is done: four pages on Macedonia, to be found on [url:2q2250ea]http://www.livius.org/maa-mam/macedonia/macedonia.html[/url].

I must confess that I found it a difficult piece to write; still, my aim is to create a complete encyclopedia of ancient history, and Macedonia can, of course, not remain uncovered.

What I find difficult is understanding the vehemence of the arguments of ultranationalists in Greece and the FYROM. Although I believe that the study of ancient history helps us to better understand certain aspects of the present, I find it very hard to sympathize with modern politicians who base their policy on ancient history. On the other hand, I do realize that this is an easy point of view - my country has no disputed boundaries, whereas the frontier north of Thessaloniki is comparatively young and has been subject to dispute during the Greek civil war and after the collapse of Yugoslavia.

I have tried to offer a fair judgment of the evidence. As far as language is concerned, I think that ultimately, we can not know what language the Macedonians spoke, although we can be certain that it was not related to a modern Slavic language. Its relation to Greek is much closer; Macedonian shared a substantial part of its vocabulary with Greek. Yet, there are also differences, especially regarding the pronunciation, which suggest that the difference is bigger than merely a difference of dialect. Two linguists are currently checking this part.

As to the question whether the Macedonians were recognized by the Greeks, this focuses on the Olympic games. I have checked the full list of victors, and the answer is simple: only the victories of king Alexander I and king Philip II are certain; a late source also mentions king Archelaus. The first Macedonian commoners to win at Olympia were during the reign of Alexander III the Great. As I see it, the Greeks recognized the Macedonian kings as Greeks, but were divided about the Macedonian populace. During the reign of Alexander, the concept of Hellenism changed and Macedonians became acceptable.

If modern Greece claims Alexander as one of its national heroes, I think this is essentially correct, and I think Alexander would not have objected.

I think that no one will be 100% happy with my article, but so be it.

Several of you have offered serious advise; thanks. The article is online now, but I have not yet announced it. If someone knows an improvement, just drop a note. I will announce this piece on 7 January or so. (As always, native speakers of the English language are welcome to improve my English.)
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Messages In This Thread
Re: Moderators, please note: Macedonia - by Jona Lendering - 01-05-2006, 01:05 AM