Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"De reditu": a new roman movie (Italy)
<br>
Well, I try in short, adding some other things found in other reviews:<br>
<br>
The movie is based upon the Namatianus' diary ( www.thelatinlibrary.com/rutilius.html ), five years after the sack of Roma, a former "Twin Towers shock" for the director Bondì, Namatianus go to Galliae, officially to see how much is standing yet of his properties there, secretly to get an army to defeat the emperor in Ravenna, and try to limit the christians action against the surviving of the Empire and its renaissance, seen the Christians got the power at all. The Namatianus' trip is by sea on a cymba, due to the danger of using the Aurelia to go to the Galliae. It's a desperate and romantic journey, well knowing that all is lost: the real spirit of the roman Empire and any hope coming back to it. It's not only the crisis of the old State, but of the single citizens' conscience. That's what Namatianus understands from the indifference (if not from the treason) of those to whom he asks for a help (moral too). The director tells us that a pretty literary and cultured way, even if through a free interpretation of the Namatianus' diary and succeeds to give us the right atmospheres of those dark years in a already desolated Italy full of barbarians and brigands. A quote from the movie:<br>
"Just one god for the reason, many gods for the imagination".<br>
<br>
Anyway, in my opinion (and if when I'll see it, so it's confirmed) this low budget (2,5 millions euro) movie is a courageus attempt to show something of unconfortable, seen the present situation of the movie bussiness. Not a blockbuster, surely.<br>
<br>
Really I don't understand why the directors don't ask roman re-enactors for stuff and men... Eh, Dan, Aitor and Valerius?<br>
<br>
As soon as it will be released in Roma (just Genova and Torino so far), I'll tell you about it.<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Titus Sabatinus Aquilius<br>
<p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Re: "De reditu": a new roman movie (Italy) - by TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS - 01-20-2004, 12:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "De reditu": just seen the movie, a personal revie TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS 4 1,899 02-20-2004, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat