Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use of GIS in Roman Archaeology
Is anyone using GIS technology in mapping Roman sites and/or artifact distributions?

For those who may not know a Geographic Information System (GIS) is a system that integrates database capability with a CAD system; that is an infinite number of attribute fields (database structure) may be attached to any spatial feature, be it a line, an area, or a point. For example: a point distribution of fort sites may list the names of units, site area, specific finds, and the presence oof diagnostic artifacts like pottery types or belt studs, etc. Images can also be attached. The data base can be queried such as: display all sites with segmetata hinges on sites less than 1000 m. area. Patterns in spatial distributions tthen can be detected. One study was done on determining the route of Trajan's campaign in Parthia by find sites of coin issues. This is a regional application. Site specific maps and analysis are also possible in 3D projections.

I have Arc/info PC and ArcView 9 (current versions). I got them for crime analysis when I was a cop. I specificaly wanted to track distribution networks of narcotiocs and such. But I found this out. First, the elected officials and administrative bureaucrats could not understand anything (like technology) that did not involve a political deal that did not benifit them in the short term. Second, the GIS is good at describing the problem domain, something politicians avoid like the plague. "My administration has NO PROBLEMS! Got It?" Also ploting narcotic networks could cause some embarisment or legal complications for many of those same persons, it would seem.

Anyway. I have the system and it is gathering dust. Is there any interest with RAT on creation of a Roman army spatial data set? RAT members coud submit data and gain analitic and map generating access with Arc Explorer which is a freeware. See ESRI homepage: www.esri.com . The main database is difficult to construct in the early phases, as the data structure has to be done right the first time around. But it could be neat.

Gaius Decius Aquilius
(Ralph Izard)

Messages In This Thread
Use of GIS in Roman Archaeology - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 11-21-2005, 06:17 PM
Re: Use of GIS in Roman Archaeology - by venicone - 11-21-2005, 07:11 PM
Re: Use of GIS in Roman Archaeology - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 11-21-2005, 08:23 PM
Re: Use of GIS in Roman Archaeology - by venicone - 11-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Re: Use of GIS in Roman Archaeology - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 11-25-2005, 06:09 PM
Cell phones with GIS - by richard - 11-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Re: Use of GIS in Roman Archaeology - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 11-28-2005, 02:31 AM
Re: Use of GIS in Roman Archaeology - by Victrix - 11-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Re: Use of GIS in Roman Archaeology - by Gaius Decius Aquilius - 11-29-2005, 01:38 AM