Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-Constantinian Church discovered in Israel
That inscription - was it actually in Latin? If not, what is the Greek title rendered as 'centurion'? I know 'chiliarchos', but that can also mean other things IIRC. But that as an aside.

What I am wondering is whether this building was always a church, or solely a church. The surviving documents on the persecutions under Valerian and Decius show that there were organised Christian groups, specidically CXhristian burial grounds and dedicated places of worship in the 250s. So at least the noisy surprise surrounding this strikes me as the product of the Israel Tourist Authority. We were bound to find some evidence sooner or later. But we direly need more information about the shape and size of the entire building. House church? Small re-used temple? Baptistery? Maybe even the home of some syncretic faith that adopted Jesus Christ? After all 'God Jesus Christ' (Theos Iesous Christos?) doesn't sound very mainstream to me.

Anyone find more data?
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach

Messages In This Thread
Loaves and fishes - by Crispvs - 11-07-2005, 09:37 PM
re - by Johnny Shumate - 11-09-2005, 07:37 PM
Re: Pre-Constantinian Church discovered in Israel - by Carlton Bach - 11-10-2005, 08:44 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Sarcophagus Discovered in Israel August 2015 Pointer 2 1,381 09-04-2015, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Scubasteve89
  Constantinian Numismatics Primitivus 0 938 09-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Primitivus