Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginner helmet question (pictures)
Ok, I admit I'm no expert on helments, my observations are based on what I've researched myself and have seen in reference books and reenactment groups/people who have what are considered good reproduction equipment.

Looking at it again, I still think the helmet looks iffy. I personally wouldn't get it, but if you want to get it, go for it. If you want to modify it to coincide with the nit-picking we've offered, that's great. If you find a better/more affordable helmet, that's great too.

Don't worry too much about our nit-pickings. Granted, actual Roman equipment is of lesser quality (perhaps more in terms of consistency and "typical" details, seeing as they were made mass-production style, by hand) than what we're making today - Take our information/nit-picking as background information and as suggestions to modify the helmet to make it look better, and decide for yourself if it's a helmet you'd want to have.

Either way I'm happy to hear you're so interested in getting into Roman reenacting and history. Keep in mind that there is a lot we know about the Romans, but also a lot we don't know, or at least don't know for certain. In the end it's going to depend on your decsion on what things to get, and what you want to do with them...And how much you're willing to spend or make yourself. That's part of the hobby.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)

Messages In This Thread
Beginner helmet question (pictures) - by Gordak - 08-25-2005, 09:12 PM
OK Which do you recommend? - by Buggnkat - 08-27-2005, 08:02 PM
Re: Beginner helmet question (pictures) - by A_Volpe - 08-28-2005, 01:11 AM
the real thing... - by Anonymous - 08-28-2005, 09:25 AM
what to stay away from!!!!!! - by Caius Fabius - 08-29-2005, 05:00 AM
No free ride - by Buggnkat - 08-29-2005, 11:29 PM
trying to find answers - by Caius Fabius - 08-30-2005, 11:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any pictures of the Concesti helmet? Virilis 15 5,466 09-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Last Post: markusaurelius