Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new roman army novels in italian
Hi guys
just a few words regarding the latest book by Guido Cervo. Its late at night and in general in this period I don't have much time to write nor to even think what to write.

In the book there are two main characters: SEBASTIAN (*), a Roman officer, and Balamber, a Hun. Then there are many secondary characters ranging from a germanic farmer, an interesting whitch, huns, burgundi princes, ambitious traitors, visigoths, alineated and dangerous farmers, diserters, and slaves, roman aristocrats in a walled villa, alan archers, christian saints, many angry and even more desperate people... Historical figures of the likes of Aetius and Attila say little or are seen from a distance. The bishop of Orleans is interesting as are several germanic characters. The hun Balamber is quite a guy and is my absolute favorite.

Most of the book takes place in near/in modern Switzerland of the Burgundi, the southern left flank of Attila's invasion. Then things move deep into Gaul, the siege of Orleans and the climax in the huge set battle of 451 and the retreat of Attila.

Over all I enjoyed the book and give it at least a B+, possibly an A-. The author Cervo does not only have a lot of imagination and is capable of dreaming up many different personality types for his characters (although too many have "penetrating eyes"), but he is at his best describing atmospheres by using minor characters and down-to-earth situations. The battles are convincing enough and I am satisfied with them.

I hope this Cervo guy gets translated in english soon.
Ciao for now

jeff

(*) Incredibly, in the first draft of this contribution, I wrote STEPHAN instead of SEBASTIAN. I have no explanation for this ERROR. I worries me! No joking
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."

Messages In This Thread
new roman army novels in italian - by Goffredo - 07-18-2005, 02:48 PM
finished augustus\'centurion - by Goffredo - 09-08-2005, 12:47 PM
"Sign of Attila" by Guido Cervo - by Goffredo - 09-24-2005, 10:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An abundance of Roman novels! Nathan Ross 48 11,562 06-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  Most historically accurate Roman Army novels? benglish05 14 6,554 01-28-2011, 12:36 AM
Last Post: Medusa Gladiatrix
  Roman Novels! Nerva 0 1,212 07-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Last Post: Nerva