Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Athens and Inaros\'s Rebellion
Quote:About Zeys Sotir Niki check page one of "How many Greek reenactors are there?" topic. Paul Allen asked me abd I gave him comprehensive explanation.

OK, now I understand, thanks :-) )

(just a side question: isn't "eta" a long 'eh' (like in latin)? if we allow ourselves the accents for vowel length, would it be "Zeys sotér niké"? mainly asking because I'm starting to rethink about thinking about starting to learn (again) ancient greek (if only irish, esperanto and latin and the Visigoths would let me time) and musical accent is funny enough, I wouldn't want to pronounce the letter badly!)

Quote:40 trirems more likely given the troubles they put themselves into at the time. They would curry more combatants ecxept the usual epivatai complement. Other vessels were not so impressive to catch they eye of the story teller. Remenber even today evryone admires the aircraftcarrier not the supply ship or troop carrier. Another 40 or more odd vessels of all types loaded with adventurers. (The wrecked farms we were talking about!)

interesting... would 200 men per ship seem right? I know most of them would be rowers, but many rowers would/should/could be available for ground combat as well. problem with this is that if you are heavy on losses, you won't be able to return home...

would rowers be ground combattants, or would you be feeding the 90% of your army just to wait for the hoplites/psiloi to do their jobs and then row back home? Expensive operations suddenly much., much more expensive!!!

Quote:Also hoplite training is cheap armor is expensive. There is always the posibility to have more people with the skill than you can equip. The hoplites would force the Persians into Memfis with a brutall allout slog but siege and ground clearnce is lighter infantry work not the fallanx! For the contact of mercenaries Xenophons 10000 offers an insight.
40 to 60000 Persians seem reasonable and Egypt could feed up to 100000.
The numbers exaggerate unless you count the servants of every noble cavalryman! -but they are not combatants.

Historians talk about 800,000 Persian soldiers put into action, 400,000 first and then other 400,000 (plus some 200,000 survivors of the first wave). So dividing by 10 gets the reasonable numbers... I wonder how many hoplites and epibatai could have deployed Athens to help Inaros. 40 ships would provide some 800 epibatai, therefore I don't think more than 1,500-2,000 hoplites... OTOH primary sources mention 6,000 greeks when Megabyzus has them under siege (after the big battle). Either this means most of them were actually rowers/psiloi/servants, or the Delian League could deploy much bigger numbers than we thought... BTW, 6,000 / 10 = 600, which would mean about 50-60% losses from those ~1,500 hoplites. Those numbers don't look too wrong for a defeated phalanx, if the terrain provides hard for cavalry (as the marshes would be), would they?

Quote:Meet women funny!-but is used by recruiters from the dawn of time so it must be effective!!! Tercio never talked about Marocan ladies?
Diodorus is a certfied liar and scouondrel who wrote heroic fiction not history-even Herodotus is more credible than him!
Tell me of your progress!
Kind regards

Well, I think it's not effective for the bounty itself, but just because Humans were greedy then and Humans are greedy nowadays. The Flandes Tercios talked about... mmm... gold, actually (even when they never saw it!) I think it was something between them, their pride and their God. I'm still trying to understand it, if I manage, I'll let you know... (for the record, I am sure many thought about Dutch, French, Maroccan and, basically, everywhereelse women).

If Diodorus is less reliable than Herodotus, we are in deep trouble, indeed! Thanks for the advice, help and support! This will probably get written in spanish, but if I'm lucky, or patient, I may even get it published and translated. Very lucky, I guess/am afraid. We'll see.

Thanks for all!

Kallisti!
Episkopos P. Lilius Frugius Simius Excalibor, :. V. S. C., Pontifex Maximus, Max Disc Eccl
David S. de Lis - my blog: <a class="postlink" href="http://praeter.blogspot.com/">http://praeter.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
Re: Athens and Inaros\'s Rebellion - by P. Lilius Frugius Simius - 07-13-2005, 02:31 PM
Inaro\'s Rebellion - by Pacal - 07-16-2005, 10:28 PM