Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with choosing gladius
Hi there.

I'd need some help. I want to buy some roman equipment for reenactment but you know money is always a prob Wink so I will have to do this slowly one by one. first thing I want to get is a gladius. Preferably a mainz type but I'm not sure yet. still thinking if I should start with a Caesarian/Augustan legionary or a late 1st century/early 2nd century Auxiliary. hmmm Smile

So I'll just write down the questions I have and what I think and hope that someone can help me:

1. How long was the Mainz type actually used? I know old gear was given to the auxiliaries sometimes (like the coolus helmet for example), so was the mainz gladius still in use with the aux. during the late 1st century? (btw. is a coolus helmet the right one for a late 1st to traianic aux, or was it replaced completely by the aux. helmet with reinforcements on top by that time?)

2.I can't work on the sword myself. don't have the tools nor the knowledge to do so. so if I buy one, which one would you suggest? I want it to be as realistic as possible and I want it to be a "real" one (meaning if I was a real Roman sent into the german forrests I would be able tu use it Wink ) don't get me wrong I'm not planning any weird things, it just doesn't feel right to useone which wouldn't be useable in reality.

I live in Europe so I'd prefer some suppliers here to keep the costs somehow low. I found this page here for swords>

http://www.roemerschmiede.de/html/gladius_t1.html

and helmets (been thinking about Coolus C and E, Model Elsass)>
http://www.roemerschmiede.de/html/romerhelm_t1.html

any idea where to get an aux. helmet with "cross" reinforcements on top?
most is depeeka from what I guess, so could someone maybe give some suggestions?

thank you very much. Smile
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]

Messages In This Thread
Help with choosing gladius - by L C Cinna - 07-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Auxiliary C type helmets - by Peroni - 07-05-2005, 11:24 AM
Re: Help with choosing gladius - by Matthew Amt - 07-05-2005, 07:50 PM
Re: Help with choosing gladius - by Carlton Bach - 07-05-2005, 09:40 PM
Re: Help with choosing gladius - by L C Cinna - 07-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Cross braced helmets - by Crispvs - 07-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Cross braced helmets - by Crispvs - 07-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Gladius mainz - by Stephen John McMahon - 07-23-2005, 04:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Choosing a new Scutum Emblem/Scheme (Controversial!) Magnus 38 9,006 02-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  choosing equipment DanM 16 4,158 11-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Matt Lukes