Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late 4th, early 5th century shields and calcei
Paul,
That kind of shoes, identified with the 'campagi militares' mentioned on Diocletian's price edict are not intended for marches and they were not hobnailed. They are rather showy footwear for late Roman cavalrymen and officers as if for boasting: 'Look, I don't need to walk'!
There were, of course, still hobnailed shoes and, probably, boots but, as I've mentioned in my previous post, the fashion during fourth and fifth centuries was to wear low shoes.
The integral lace going under the instep appears also on the so-called Tetrarchs' statues at Venice but their shoes are heavier (albeit low), soled ones, probably hobaniled, too.

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner

Messages In This Thread
Re: Late 4th, early 5th century shields and calcei - by aitor iriarte - 05-19-2005, 07:06 AM
aitor\'s shoes - by GaiusAquiliusBritannicus - 05-25-2005, 10:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Early lanciarii of the 3rd century in Roman Army G.S. 1 245 04-23-2024, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Arius
  Can the Feltwell Spatha be used for a late 4th c./early 5th c. Roman re-enactment? Lucius_Aelius 19 8,265 12-12-2022, 06:16 AM
Last Post: deepeeka
  A Quick Question Regarding First Century Calcei DevereauxIV 1 787 01-07-2019, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Crispianus