Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being taken seriously by the classics folks and public
Quote:Got an interesting email:

"Reenactment is a lot to swallow for far too many.  I can't get a single one of the local Latin teachers either to attend a reenactment event ...

"Most of the members of the Grex Latine Loquentium also seem to think
that reenactment (and Nova Roma) are somewhere between silly and insane"

I wonder about the image of reenactors and reenactment, and how 'the public' and the professional community at large views your groups around the world. Do you see a problem? Ideas on improving if needed?

Rich,
You MIGHT mention to them that if they don't get people interested in their language, nobody will take their classes... Not only does reenacting cause an interest in different languages (why ELSE would I sit in a classroom and also do homework as an adult), it also helps them learn too. To see the ancient ways, put together, live, and in colour not only will let them FEEL this time period, it will excite others to do so too. ...and if that doesn't work, well, tell them they're hide-bound academics and to go bugger a goat! ;-P
DMV
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)

Messages In This Thread
Being taken seriously - by Sandra/Viventia - 04-15-2005, 12:25 PM
Latin teachers - by Antonius Lucretius - 04-15-2005, 03:12 PM
A European / NA split? - by richard - 04-15-2005, 04:52 PM
Re: Being taken seriously by the classics folks and public - by DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS - 04-15-2005, 07:18 PM
latin - by TFLAVIUSAMBIORIX - 04-16-2005, 02:56 PM
Blame it on the SCA - by Hibernicus - 04-20-2005, 05:22 PM
reenactor acceptance - by Daniel S Peterson - 04-23-2005, 06:31 PM