Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some images
Graham, I'm extremely impressed with your civilian side of the house; it opens up a whole new aspect to reenacting. I think this may become a general trend, if we're lucky. A glimpse into Roman society is so much more fascinating (and interactive to a greater percentage of the population) then simply looking at a dozen guys stand around in Loricae.<br>
<br>
In a slightly different take on the reenacting norm, my unit has been hitting the Renn Faire circuit recently, along with our Celtic sister unit; and together we form The Cultures That Became Modern England. We don't actually simulate combat (although we do demonstrate Roman Army training methods); instead we "co-exist" with the Celts, as this was actually the normal state of affairs, and let people know of the similarities the two cultures had, not just the differences. Religious rituals, period diet, and technological developments are demonstrated Much like the real Britannicae-based legionaries would have had to do [if they ever want to meet local girls], we learned Celtic (in this case Gaelic) salutations, and they learned our Latin ones (although they stubbornly refuse to use them!). It's a lot more educational for everyone, I think, and we get good feedback from the public. We tend to stay in our display area so as not to have an adverse visual impact on "Rennaissance England". At our next event, we plan to build a short pile of dirt betwen the two camps... we'll call it "Hadrian's Wall, heh heh.<br>
<br>
Anyway, outstanding job on the quality of your photos and of your website in gereral.<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
Darius<br>
Legio VI Victrix et. Queen Medb's Encampment <p></p><i></i>

Messages In This Thread
Some images - by Gashford - 07-09-2003, 01:13 AM
Re: Some images - by richard - 07-09-2003, 01:33 AM
Re: Some images - by Gashford - 07-23-2003, 10:34 AM
Re: Some images - by Gashford - 07-24-2003, 03:17 AM
Re: Some images - by venicone - 07-24-2003, 03:45 AM
Re: Some images - by Anonymous - 08-31-2003, 11:51 PM
Re: Some images - by venicone - 09-01-2003, 12:53 AM