Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1912 Publication of a La Tène Shield
(08-06-2023, 05:50 AM)Sean Manning Wrote: Hi Crispianus,

here are the two types of shield grip as I understand them.

[Image: two-shield-constructions.jpg]

I did not know the debate about how long the 'new grips' were, but it seems like they were longer than the old grips as well as standing above the back of the shield and not being flat to the shield.  I think the fittings you talk about in Pedersen's figure 4.10 would be decorations for the ends of the 'new grip' although I am only a curious amateur when it comes to the Viking Age.

For the sake of argument I'm going to call your first image type1 (inserted grip) and the second image type3 (raised grip)

Type 1 exists at Birka in at least one example tentatively dated to the 8th century (Viking age starts 750AD+) I don’t know of others but haven’t spent the time looking, it could also be earlier.

Type 3 is represented by Gokstad ? and Trelleborg.

So now I'll describe  type 2 (inserted grip with raised reinforcing)

There appear to be at least two types with metal components a short (separate "trilobe" ends) and long (integral "fishtail ends)  version we can call these type 2a and 2b.

According Project Forlag "Lesser known aspects of the Viking shield" "The shield handle from Myklebost" and "Decorated shield from Ness, Norway" there seems to be at least 53? identified remains or associated components, including an end piece from Gokstad (type2b) and 2 examples from Trelleborg with metal handles.

Continued...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1912 Publication of a La Tène Shield - by Crispianus - 08-19-2023, 10:31 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  La Tene shield materials? Dan D'Silva 20 9,087 02-07-2023, 02:20 AM
Last Post: Crispianus