Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking at the whole hamata vs segmentata discussion from another angle
(01-08-2022, 10:17 PM)Dan Howard Wrote: Hamata was always worn. It was the preferred armour in pretty much every metal-using culture on the planet for almost two thousand years. In Rome, mail was still the preferred armour when segmetata was available. Segmentata was munitions armour - a secondary option for those who could not afford hamata.

You have the time periods wrong. Segmentata was being used when Rome was in the decline. Segmentata was phased out when Diocletian took over the armour fabricas and standardised armour production. It was a time of greater organisation and a resurgence in Rome's fortunes. It was after the Diocletion and the removal of segmentata that Rome entered into a period of expansion and prosperity.

"Segmentata was being used when Rome was in the decline."
Are you serious? Really, do you know what we are talking about? Segmentata was widely used in I and II century, when Rome was at the apex. I think you should carefully study not only science material, but also roman history.

Quote:Lets also not forget that centurions used hamata as well and certainly every legionary would have looked up to centurions and would have wanted to wear a similar armor to them.
I would say same goes in relation to cavalry, but I am not sure how cavalry was perceived by the legionaries.
I have already replied you. You can use more complex equipments/weapons (if you don't like the tank example, think at the roman field artillery, with the ballista more complex but used when Rome was at the apex) if logistic supports you. In that case, more complex equipments/weapons/armors are a force multiplier. The simple fact it is depicted to be used also from praetorians tells you that it was considered as the best option.

For the centurion example... here a topic about Centurion representations between I and II century:
https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/showth...?tid=31192
We have lorica muscolata and squamata. Please provide evidences before talking again on this topic.
- CaesarAugustus
www.romanempire.cloud
(Marco Parente)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Looking at the whole hamata vs segmentata discussion from another angle - by CaesarAugustus - 01-09-2022, 12:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica hamata / segmentata Jona Lendering 154 29,177 11-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  A familiar (late roman) helmet from a different angle... Virilis 10 3,065 03-20-2008, 03:37 PM
Last Post: PMBardunias
  Manufacturing effort, lorica hamata vs. lorica segmentata Sardaukar 8 3,310 09-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Dan Howard