Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient Armies YouTube video on Zama
Michael wrote:
I know that both Steven and I have written here about how Polybius` version of Zama came about 50+ years after the end of the 2PW and that there was time and space for the early Roman historians to interpret the events of the war in the best favourable light.

They seem to have gotten away with blaming Varro for Cannae instead of Paullus. So how did they manage that? Wouldn’t the soldiers that survived have made some noise? Doing it 50 years later would make it possible. Some years ago, while study Roman religion, I stumbled on to religious rite that was only performed by the consul in command that day, and it mentions at Cannae, Paullus conducted this rite. I have never seen this reference mentioned in any account of Cannae by modern historians, not one. Therefore, Paullus was the prior consul at Cannae on the day of the battle.

Talking of Paullus, I was watching a documentary on Frederick Paulus, who commanded the German Sixth Army at Stalingrad, and he was, after reading Eduard von Manstein’s book, so angry about the lies Manstein wrote about his actions during operation Winter Storm. Paulus claimed Manstein lied many times in his book and these lies can be proven in OKH transcripts of the communication between them while operation Winter Storm was being conducted. In fact, Paullus claimed many of the German general memoirs were full of lies and fabrications. Many of these memoirs were written 10 to 25 years after the end of WW2.

Michael wrote:
In addition to that war was concluded in enemy territory, on another continent, which the Romans did not have access to until that 50+ years had passed - such a fabrication would not have been possible in Cisalpine Gaul.

I’m rather dubious about the battle with Mago that occurred in Cisalpine Gaul. So many other battles in Cisalpine Gaul are very similar. In fact, there is some total confusion of events for that period. This can be established by studying the contradictions, which alas, there are many. In fact it is quite a mess.

Michael wrote:
Steven has arrived at Alimentus as being the key to the cover-up and fabrications and I would agree with him; Alimentus was first to be able to do this. Although Pictor was close in time too, he was openly distrusted by Polybius for his pro-Roman bias and so he can`t be entirely beyond suspicion of exaggerating the facts.

Fabius Pictor could also have his finger in the Zama pie, but I don’t have the strong evidence (use of military numbers) to say how and when.

Michael wrote:
Steven is also on point with Alimentus` hatred being vented in his history; revenge is a great motivator.

An important point is when was Alimentus freed from Carthaginian slavery? Before the peace terms were signed or after. Appian mentions many Roman prisoners being freed before the battle of Utica. If so could Alimentus had accompanied Scipio in Africa or elected to get on the first ship for home?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ancient Armies YouTube video on Zama - by Steven James - 05-02-2021, 09:55 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video A video of the military of ancient Rome TheBulgarianVlogger 3 2,244 03-30-2016, 06:00 PM
Last Post: deleted
  Volley Fire in Ancient Armies Eleatic Guest 3 1,445 04-17-2015, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Alanus
  Video-Documentaries About Ancient Rome, Warfare& Philippos II 2 1,886 04-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Last Post: Philippos II