Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request for help and critique – Polybius Bk6
(11-05-2020, 04:55 AM)Steven James Wrote: Can you give a step by step account of how a Roman levy is conducted?
Can you give me the exact age bracket of the velites?
Can you give me the exact age bracket of the hastati?
Can you give me the exact age bracket of the princeps?
Can you give me the exact age bracket of the triarii?
Can you give me the exact age bracket of the Roman cavalry?

I promised to try and do this and, seeing as Polybius addresses this also in Bk6 there's no reason not to - although 6.19-21 seems to cover it fairly well.  However, the obvious first answer is that there certainly doesn't seem to be any particular age bracket(s) associated with the choosing nor division - except broad divisions like 'youngest' and 'oldest'.

Following the election of the 2x Consuls for the year, the censor for the military levy first selects 24x Military Tribunes.  The first 14x must have completed at least 5 years prior servic; and the next 10x have completed at least 10 years (I must admit I am somewhat puzzled why it's not either 12+12 or 16+8 as that would seem more logical to me).  From the first 14x: 4x are assigned to Legio I; 3x to Legio II; 4x to Legio III; and 3x to Legio IV. The second set are then divided: 2x to Legio I; 3x to Legio II; 2x to Legio III; and 3 to Legio IV.  All legions receiving 6 total.

All eligible Males (those under 46 years of age and less than 10 years of service for Cavalry and less than 16 years for Infantry) are then assembled by census (those assessed at under 400 drachma, to the number needed, serving in the Navy) and by tribe. A lottery is conducted to determine the order of selection by Tribe and then the choosing commences.  The censor first determines the wealthiest 1200x to serve in the Cavalry; who are probably then the first selected by the Tribunes before the Infantry.

From each Tribe are selected 4x men of similar age and physique (Cavalry first) and the Tribunes select in rotating order to allocate to each legion (for fairness); until 300 Cavalry and 4200 Infantry are selected for each Legion. [The implication is that this happens within the one day upon which they are to assemble.  If so, then each 4x would have to be brought forward and allocated at a rate of every ~10 seconds, lasting over 12 hours; which seems extraordinarily fast.]

Once the 4200x Infantry are allocated for each legion, and the military oath taken, they are then told when to assemble without arms.  The 'officers' for the legion are then selected, totalling 200.

Of the remaining 4000x: firstly the youngest/poorest 1000x are selected to serve as Velites; the oldest 600x serve as Triarii; and then remaining 2400x are divided into 2 by age forming the hastati and principes.

I honestly see no opportunity for division into particular age brackets, as it's totally dependent on the 16,800 Infantry + 1,200 Cavalry chosen in any particular year.  I am, however, sure that there must be a degree of 'behind the scenes' dealing and even planning to ensure at least some broad level of prior experience!

I suspect dear Steven might have other ideas...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Request for help and critique – Polybius Bk6 - by Mark Hygate - 11-10-2020, 09:38 PM