Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
design/shape of sub-roman swords
Hello Everyone:

i live in Cymru/Wales. I am researching the Gododdin poem which was probably first sung about 1400 years ago in Duneidyn/Edinburgh in the territory of the 'Wotadini' as recorded by Ptolemy in 4th century. It is speculated that the Wotadini tribe/nation who spoke an ancient sort of Welsh, were allies of the romans and helped keep the Picts out of Britain south of the northumbrian wall.

Fighters of the Wotadini/Votadini/Gododdin (linguistically there is a link!) left Dineidyn and nearly all died in a fierce battle in what is now northern england. The poem is a series of elegies for the fallen.

In order to visually highlight the poem, i am very interested in finding out a historically correct shape of the swords used by the Britons after the legions left Britain ca AD410.

I cannot find anything on the internet, but admit to being inept at this. Does any of you have information, or are aware of old sub-roman /celtic-type swords being unearthed during archaeological work for the period ca AD600?

Sorry, i don't speak Latin

lari parc

Messages In This Thread
design/shape of sub-roman swords - by lparc - 11-26-2019, 05:16 PM
RE: design/shape of sub-roman swords - by lparc - 12-19-2019, 11:16 AM
RE: design/shape of sub-roman swords - by lparc - 12-20-2019, 10:26 AM
RE: design/shape of sub-roman swords - by lparc - 12-23-2019, 10:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A symbolic shape for the roman helmets? TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS 20 4,433 09-28-2002, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Centralised Roman kit design? Anonymous 6 1,723 06-17-2002, 08:02 AM
Last Post: