Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What brass type for making my own squamata?
Why not making steel or bronze squamata? Brass is the most unhistorical option. The best would be using bronze, then mild steel and just then brass. Brass was in ancient times very, very expensive, used mainly for coins and decorative items. Romans did not have access to pure zink (opposite to tin) and making brass out of copper was very, very expensive and difficult process. If anyone could afford brass squamata it was probably people with the highest status and probably just to show off (since brass is weakest metal out of steel and bronze).
Therefore, if you gonna make it yourself out of plate/strips, I'd recommend getting bronze strips (CuSn6-10) or simple mild steel Wink
People are using brass becasue "it looks cool" and "brass is easier to get" but it doesn't have much to do with accuracy. Just sayin Big Grin
Damian

Messages In This Thread
RE: What brass type for making my own squamata? - by Damianus Albus - 11-18-2019, 08:11 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a lorica squamata for a seven year old boy - some questions Iskierka 1 889 10-15-2018, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Crispvs
  How to maintain a squamata with brass plates ? Theodosius the Great 13 2,425 08-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Simple videos - making a brass ring Tarbicus 5 3,705 07-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar