Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What brass type for making my own squamata?
I'm starting to assemble my kit and it's coming allong nicely. Lately I've been gathering information for what to do about armor. High end metalwork/forging/smithing is above my experience level. But sewing is something that even I can do. So if i wanted to make my own armor squamata would seem more within reach. I've read allot of accounts of people how they made it themselves and I've talked to some reenactors at events I was at. I think I would like to try my hand at making my own. Now there is one thing I cannot seem to find. Most people/tutorials talked about buying brass plates or strips and cutting it themselves to size. But what people didn't talk about is the type of brass plates/strips. You see most companies where I live sell brass in what they describe as "soft", "half-hard" and "hard" (literal translation). A quick google search shows an american company selling brass sheets in "hard temper", "soft temper", "half hard temper" and ''quarter hard temper".

Now my question is this: "what type of brass would be the most suitable for making a squamata?"

On a related note, the squamata's sold by stores like danielle steelcraft or even deepeeka, does anyone have any idea what type of brass they use? And what about the seperate squamata plates that are being sold in stores like "armae"? Are they all the same?
And on a true final note, are there any off the shelf squamata's that are RAT approved (if there can even be such a thing) for reenacting?

with kind regards,

cannonfodder90

Messages In This Thread
What brass type for making my own squamata? - by cannonfodder90 - 11-14-2019, 12:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making a lorica squamata for a seven year old boy - some questions Iskierka 1 889 10-15-2018, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Crispvs
  How to maintain a squamata with brass plates ? Theodosius the Great 13 2,425 08-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Simple videos - making a brass ring Tarbicus 5 3,701 07-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar