Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Distances between files and ranks
Steven James wrote:

Here’s my answer.

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=14800]    

Thanks for this - excellent.

Nathan wrote:

In Section IX, we have the tactics: "the first three ranks should lock their shields and press their shoulders and receive the charge as strongly as possible in the most closely ordered formation bound together in the strongest manner. The fourth rank will throw their javelins overhead and the first rank will stab at them and their horses with their spears without pause."

Firstly thanks for getting Robert to split out this thread, Secondly really impressed with everyone's expertise - no idea where "simple" comes from - seems really complex to me.

If we look at a century being 8 deep in ranks then it should be 10 files wide or 30 feet in "close order" - doubling to 16 rank deep in "open order" but still 10 files wide.

With the description that you state above I don't understand how the first 3 ranks lock their shield together without widening the files - or is that what happens? If that is the case how does the first rank stab with their spears if the first three ranks have combined and are now in the front rank?

Also would the 4th rank be in "open order" when they threw their javelins?
I apologise in advance if this seems too simplistic 

Deryk

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] Distances between files and ranks - by Theoderic - 08-29-2018, 10:10 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Distances and distance measuring in the Roman Army? dcbrown 2 207 04-03-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: dcbrown