Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Distances between files and ranks
Steven James wrote:

Maybe people should start re-examining their model of the Roman legion. Look at the last couple of posts, it’s always centred on formations eight deep. Just maybe, that could be wrong. But does anyone explore the possibility?

There does seem to be very little information regarding the actual methodology of how the Roman Army fought on the battlefield when it comes to transitioning from one type of formation or configuration to another.

As can be seen from this thread there appear to be a number of thoughts of distances between files and ranks and how the pilum was discharged in a group and how far a pilum was expected to be thrown etc. Were the most experienced men on the front rank or the rear rank? How did men get out of the battle through the various ranks? This must have been possible so that the wounded could be taken away to the hospital (whether there was a way of rotating men from the front rank is a point for debate).

So is it worth trying to work out (possibly in another thread) how the army moved from "closed order" to "open order" swiftly and effectively and how formations like the "wedge" were formed from the "close order" of a shield wall to enable a charge to take place. 

These moves and commands must have been standard throughout the army and therefore must have been easy to implement under great pressure but very effective. How they were communicated over the noise of battle is another interesting thought.

The obvious place to start is with the re-enactment groups and I have attached some information regarding commands and methods allegedly from Flavius Mauricius Tiberius Augustus (known also as Maurice) who ruled Byzantium from 582-602 AD. I accept that this is centuries after our battle but may throw some light on the methods used. 

Why I see this as being important to this thread is how deep a standard formation in battle could be eg: 8 deep in "close order" or 8 deep in "open order"

I am not convinced that having a close formation of 8 ranks would be particularly beneficial whereas an open formation of 8 ranks might be and if that was the case SP would have been able to extend his battle line further which has an influence on the site of the battle or what reserves might be available.

.pdf   2010_Jul_18_Commands_Revised.pdf (Size: 213.79 KB / Downloads: 5)

Deryk

Messages In This Thread
RE: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - by Theoderic - 08-22-2018, 07:24 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Distances and distance measuring in the Roman Army? dcbrown 2 221 04-03-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: dcbrown