Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman soldiers and Parthian Travelers
(05-07-2017, 04:14 PM)speedlearner Wrote: I found an article published by the Louisiana State University that discussed the anger felt by the Roman Soldiers after one of their Parthian defeats.  

http://digitalcommons.lsu.edu/cgi/viewco...sertations

This proves that they would have motive to victimize unwary Parthian travelers.  I can also prove that not all Roman soldiers were on the up and up so to speak.  Obviously I can't rely on specific atrocity stories because they probably were destroyed hundreds of years ago.  But based upon the anger of the Roman soldiers and the corruption of some of those soldiers, it wouldn't be hard to conclude that at least some of them victimized unwary Parthian travelers.

By the way, if anyone is interested, my name is Ted.

Hi Ted,

Interesting disertation, but please help me out where it supports your theory? Of course there would be anger over a defeat, that's natural, but I still can't find the victimising of unwary travellers? Your assumption that atrocity stories were probably destroyed is in itself not proof of a negative. To prove something is destroyed you should first have proof that it was there in the first place.

And your name has to be added to your signature (in your profile), as I suggested to you earlier. It's a forum rule.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Roman soldiers and Parthian Travelers - by Robert Vermaat - 05-08-2017, 12:31 AM