Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 'Lost' Naval Commands of Late Rome
Nice call out regarding the lusoriae numbers in the Theodosian Code, Nathan - did you know I have just obtained Pharr's translation and have it on my desk now?!

I see that Title 17 (page 175 of Pharr's translation) mentions judiciarae and agrarienses vessels renovated from old craft - presumably lusoriae. These latter are defined as reconnaissance craft and inshore patrol craft respectively. Souter's ' A Glossary of Later Latin' defines the agrariensis as a ship or boat but from its designation, it is clearly an inshore patrol craft. The listing above this one is for 'agraria' - a kind of military watch, while the descriptor itself is derived from the Latin word for fields - 'agralis'. This vessel then is distinct from the lusoriae in that it is tasked with close inshore patrols along river-banks.

D'Amato's latest work 'Imperial Roman Warships 193-565 AD' makes a different case for the former craft. He argues that the converted judiciarae are in fact official government ships used to convey a high functionary. Souter agrees here. This would contradict Pharr's understanding of them as being reconnaissance craft.

Interesting that the Theodosian Code preserves an order for the refit and construction of patrol craft along the Moesian and Scythia riverine borders precisely where the main non-legion 'milites' units are raised under the Dux Scythiae and the Dux Moesiae. I think you are right, however, about wondering on the use of a naval presence along the Rhine and Danube frontiers. I think Haywood in his 'Dark Age Naval Power' sum it up quite nicely when he suggests that later Roman naval capability should be seen more in terms of amphibious operations than proper naval capability. Roman naval actions focus more on patrol, transport and scouting than actual ship-to-ship combat.
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii

Messages In This Thread
RE: The 'Lost' Naval Commands of Late Rome - by Longovicium - 03-11-2017, 10:25 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman monumental works now lost? ValentinianVictrix 37 6,740 05-23-2013, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  BBC Rome\'s Lost Empire John1 31 6,963 12-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Last Post: falcons1988