Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project- Influences of Roman military on modern day riot control
You appear to have added quite a lot to this post since I replied, so I will reply again.

(11-25-2016, 10:25 PM)Bryan Wrote: If you weren't a US Marine, if you weren't an Infantry Marine, specifically an 0311 who served as rifleman to fire team leader, then maybe you are seriously outside your lane when discussing modern combat tactics with someone who was a Marine, who was an 0311, and served as a rifleman through TL. Who actually fought in combat as an infantry team leader and squad leader in the US Army. Who knows first hand that if you want anybody to do what you tell them to do it means close supervision, sharing danger and discomfort, and leading by example. 

I don't believe I am outside my lane when I am discussing something that the USMC hired me to teach them because they believed I understood a lot more about this subject than they did.  The Marines I have trained have at no stage said that we taught them doesn't work, quite the reverse in fact.  There have been several articles in Marine Corps publications where those that we trained gave their opinions on it.

There is close supervision and sharing the risk by team, platoon and company commanders in the system we teach.  They achieve that close supervision by being directly behind them where they can see what they are doing and what is happening to them, not in front of them where they can't see what they are doing.

(11-25-2016, 10:25 PM)Bryan Wrote: So Push Right is the official command that also means Push Forward, But Also Slightly Right? Do you know an official command name for that maneuver already exists? 
Right/Left Oblique

So let's make believe you're going to march a formation of men at an angle, Right Oblique. 

In what universe is there no guidon, no standard, no unit pendent in the front showing which way the formation is supposed to move? THE UNIT STANDARD HAS TO BE IN THE FRONT SO THE SOLDIERS CAN SEE WHERE THEY NEED TO MOVE TO.  

In this universe.  I do not know of any crowd management unit in the world that uses guidons, standards or pendents to show shield units where to go.  If you know different please provide examples.

(11-25-2016, 10:25 PM)Bryan Wrote: BTW, whose duty was it to guard the standard bearer and tell him where to go? Its the duty of the unit leader to provide protection and guidance to the unit's standard bearer. Who was the century's leader? The Centurion. Standard in front, centurion in front. Standard in rear, centurion in rear. Standard in rear, nobody is moving forward. 

When we look at Medieval and Napoleonic warfare, where we have actual manuals to confirm how they did things there does not appear to be any indication that they need a standard in front of them to provide guidance on where to go.  British Infantry colours, when they were being carried in battle, marked the centre of the line, the commanders location, prevented friendly fire incidents and acted as a rallying point if the unit became disorganised.  

(11-25-2016, 10:25 PM)Bryan Wrote: Basically, if you're issuing drill commands from the rear, whether it play fighting or riot training, you're doing it wrong, so sayeth about 2,000 years of written drill methods. I can't really think of anyone who took the lowest small unit leader of their organization and made them serve in the rear, not any that had any success. However they are organized, formed, there has to be someone leading from the front, which is basically the whole concept and conflict of command and control since the dawn of time. Unit commanders must share dangers and lead from the front, which means increased casualties (even now leaders get hit more than non-rates), but they cant throw their lives away without sacrificing unit cohesiveness and command and control, so its a precarious balancing act of removing oneself from the front, but only as long as there are subordinates with true authority who can do it in your stead in the front. 

It is interesting that you have assumed that everyone else in the world, except you who has never done it, is doing it wrong.  Crowd management tactics vary widely across the world as each country has developed their own in response to the problems that they face in their country.  I have been doing this internationally for 8 years now.  I have yet to see a country where they had faced actual crowd violence where they had decided the best response was to put commanders in the front rank.  Again if you know different, please provide examples.

In the example I gave from Wolin earlier those guys actively wanted to be fighting in the front rank and fighting.  They realised they couldn't do that and impose any level of control on what was happening so the commanders had to drop behind the line to somewhere where they could actually see what was happening around them and where they could direct sub-units to deal with problems or exploit opportunities.
Adam

No man resisted or offered to stand up in his defence, save one only, a centurion, Sempronius Densus, the single man among so many thousands that the sun beheld that day act worthily of the Roman empire.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Project- Influences of Roman military on modern day riot control - by Densus - 11-26-2016, 11:59 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Influences over pc/modern warfare/military Michael Hill 5 2,927 06-18-2015, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Frank
  Roman military tactics in modern riots? Epictetus 15 6,754 01-29-2014, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Thomas Aagaard
  MODERN DAY ARMY AND ROMAN INFLUENCES Anonymous 12 8,384 02-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Anonymous