Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconstructing Ancient Linen Body Armor - New Book
(09-09-2016, 08:49 AM)Dan Howard Wrote:
Quote:see attached intact example of cavalry corselet and Greek helmet from a Thracian Prince's tomb, made of leather re-inforced with scales

That is not leather armour. The metal plates provide the protection, not the backing. 

Normally I would agree with that Dan, but in this case the question really is what is the base material. The answer to what the T-Y was made of can't be "scales", though so many of them were scale covered. This whole xebate has become silly to me, because we are really arguing percentages and geographical and temporal trends.  The answer to if a hoplite ever wore a linen T-Y is almost surely yes at this point, and the answer to if a hoplite wore a leather T-Y is also surely yes.  Now we are down to what was more common when and where and with which class.

As to whether glue was used, I think the most logical stance at this point is that it is a possibility, but one with little physical evidence to support it at this point. That will all change if the immunoassay shows rabbit all over a pile of linen some day.  Of course there would still be issues.  I did my masters in a molecular biology lab and have done this test.  It would for example pic up the rabbit glue in the gesso that was used to cover the aspis face.  Probably pick up the rabbit stew spilled as well.  Maybe now we know why the Spartans mocked their foes when there were so many living rabbits just outside their walls.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reconstructing Ancient Linen Body Armor - New Book - by Paul Bardunias - 09-09-2016, 11:53 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earliest Modern Mention of Glued Linen Armor? Creon01 11 4,565 12-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Reconstructing ancient art Giannis K. Hoplite 12 6,156 10-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite