Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconstructing Ancient Linen Body Armor - New Book
One of my problems with this whole discussion is that even if we accept that the ancient Greeks had both linen and leather armor, it tells us nothing about if either or both were the Tube and Yokes we see on vases.  The Spolas reference could easily be satisfied by a garment cut like the leopard skin in the image below (it hangs from the shoulders), while the other two images can surely satisfy the term linothorax (note how thick that garment is over his shoulder in the last pic).

Now I believe that the T-Y was probably made of leather and twinned linen (the lack of leather on the face of the extant aspides, while multiple layers of linen, the top one twinned has been found, is good evidence to me that the protectiveness of twinned linen was known and made use of).  But I also know that I am making a leap in connecting the the cut of a garment to references of its base material.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reconstructing Ancient Linen Body Armor - New Book - by Paul Bardunias - 09-06-2016, 02:35 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earliest Modern Mention of Glued Linen Armor? Creon01 11 4,565 12-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Reconstructing ancient art Giannis K. Hoplite 12 6,156 10-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite