Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconstructing Ancient Linen Body Armor - New Book
(08-28-2016, 04:05 PM)Creon01 Wrote: [quote pid='338853' dateline='1472370587']
It is also not the only example of Greeks wearing linen upper body armor, see Cornelius Nepos, Iphicrates 1.3-4.

Although Connolly gets the majority of credit, or blame, for starting the idea of "glued linen" upper body armor in the Greek context, the idea was actually around for a much longer period.

Nepos in the same sentence has hoplites in chainmail, so I am less than enthusiastic about his sources.  Some like Nepos because he has Iphicrates double the length of the spear, from 8 to 16', thus essentially a sarissa.  I lean towards the source of Diodorus (Ephorus?) who lengthens the spear by half- 8' to 12', which is about how long a man can use in one hand.  Perhaps Nepos doubled the length of a hasta, thus about 12 feet as well.  The problem with this source in any case is that Iphicratids almost surely kitted out in foreign elements and inspired by either Egyptians or Thracians.  I don't think anyone has a problem with Egyptian linen armor.  The other sources you found prior to Connolly are very interesting, if only because they are new to me.  Note again, they are describing a non-greek context.

Interestingly, modern tests have shown a stiffening effect of not wine and salt, but vinegar and salt.  It is my understanding that wine and vinegar could often be confused in ancient texts- a la the New Testament.  I believe this was a technique used in later textiles, so perhaps the 19th century author was bringing a knowledge from observation in India or some place that still made textile armor.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reconstructing Ancient Linen Body Armor - New Book - by Paul Bardunias - 08-29-2016, 01:50 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earliest Modern Mention of Glued Linen Armor? Creon01 11 4,565 12-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  Reconstructing ancient art Giannis K. Hoplite 12 6,156 10-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite