Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dyes in the Persian empire?
(08-16-2016, 03:03 PM)Crispianus Wrote: I would have though looking at the vast amounts of Egyptian textiles would supply the answers you need for the region generally....

Thank you.  Where can I read about them?

(08-17-2016, 06:56 AM)Sean Manning Wrote: For linen, "natural" and "sun-bleached white" are always the safest colours.  Linen is not as easy to dye with natural dyes as wool, cotton, or silk but it does turn a nice white colour if it is left in the sun or washed enough times, so people often saved their dyestuffs for other fibres.

I understand, and I've seen a few dyeing experiments that prove what you're saying.  But I just find an all-"natural" linen ensemble painfully dull.  (I have to rely on linen for undertunics and hot-weather clothing because I'm pretty allergic to wool, need at least two layers between it and my skin.)

(08-17-2016, 06:56 AM)Sean Manning Wrote: If you want the details check books like "Ancient Mesopotamian Materials and Industries" "Tutankhamun's Wardrobe" and Oleson's "Encyclopedia of Engineering and Technology."  Some of the main sources outside of Egypt are cuneiform texts, the oldest Zanjan mummies, and the Pazyryk textiles.

Okay.  Thanks!
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
Dyes in the Persian empire? - by Dan D'Silva - 08-16-2016, 02:10 PM
RE: Dyes in the Persian empire? - by Crispianus - 08-16-2016, 03:03 PM
RE: Dyes in the Persian empire? - by Sean Manning - 08-17-2016, 06:56 AM
RE: Dyes in the Persian empire? - by Dan D'Silva - 08-17-2016, 09:03 PM
RE: Dyes in the Persian empire? - by Crispianus - 08-18-2016, 11:04 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Persian Empire Avatar 7 2,862 02-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Avatar