Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Army Units in the Western Provinces (1): 31 BC-AD 195
I found this a rather disappointing volume in several respects. For example, a considerable portion of the book is devoted to what amounts to a series of army lists, printed in very small type size. However, he fails to show that legio II Augusta served in Spain and then moved to Gaul (Strasburg - Argentorate).Similarly, legio XIV is not shown as a part of the AD 43 invasion force. Both these fall within the time period that the book covers.

I also felt that the paintings/colour artwork were inferior to others in the Osprey series. The artist failed to show clearly the distinction between Corbridge and Newstead armour types, for example. It seemed to me that the colours chosen were far too bright. And yes, we seem to have D'Amato's fetish about leather armour again, within any real concrete proof that this happened.

There was also the oft-repeated and erroneous contention that Caerleon was called "Isca Silurum" by the Romans. George Boon showed many years ago that the place was only ever known as "Isca" - probably a corruption of the Welsh name for the river Usk (Wysg). "Venta Silurum" (Caerwent) - yes, OK, but not the Isca version.

There were other contentious points, some of which might be regarded more as matters of argument and opinion. Dogmatic statements need to be backed up by facts and references and not left hanging in the air. Yes, OK, this is not an academic work and should not be regarded as such - but there is no excuse for sloppy work, I feel.

Mike Thomas
(Caratacus)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Roman Army Units in the Western Provinces (1): 31 BC-AD 195 - by Caratacus - 08-12-2016, 03:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Elite forces/units in the Pre-Marian army (early- middle republic) Corvus 7 3,455 01-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Bryan
  Areas of Roman Provinces and Regions? Marja 0 1,075 10-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Last Post: Marja
  Roman Army Units on Hadrian\'s Wall Kaeso 7 3,359 04-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat